You are here

Prohibited Political Activity Resources Page

Top Stories

2023 Career Civil Service Award Nominations


Read More ➝

2024 Annual Enrollment: OGB Informational Meetings

Annual enrollment for the 2024 plan year begins October 1, 2023 and runs through November 15, 2023.

Read More ➝

Food for Thought: July 2023

The Office of Human Resources invites you to attend Tech Tips and Tricks for commonly used software applications to

Read More ➝

Louisiana State Civil Service is pleased to announce the release of its new

Prohibited Political Activity Resources Page.

Article 10, Section 9 of the State Constitution and Civil Service Rules 14.1(e), (f), and (g) govern the political activities of classified state employees. The United States Supreme Court has recognized that a state has the right to limit the political activity of its workers in order to ensure the enforcement and application of laws for the common good and not for the good of one candidate or political party. The Supreme Court has also recognized the right of a state to restrict such activity in order to avoid the appearance of such support. This means that classified state employees must avoid the ACTUAL support of a candidate, party, or faction and avoid the APPEARANCE of giving such support.


The new Prohibited Political Activity resources page is intended to provide classified state employees with a central location of information related to prohibited political activity. Additionally, we've provided some updated resources to help best communicate these rules and how classified state employees can avoid violations during the election season. The new Prohibited Political Activity page includes:

• An updated video addressing the most common questions
• Updated infographics
• New FAQs
• General Circulars

If you have questions about what political activities you may or may not be involved in as a classified state employee, contact your Human Resources Office, or the Department of State Civil Service, P.O. Box 94111, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9111 or by phone at (225) 342-8274.